[TxMt] Bolding and antialiasing (and possibly Markdown)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Mon Dec 19 14:14:14 UTC 2005

On 19/12/2005, at 14:52, Jeffrey E. Forcier wrote:

>> Some of us have toyed with it, we've never actually come up with a
>> proper solution.
> Well, that's a bummer, isn't it. You haven't found any good fonts
> which mitigate the problem? Like I said, Courier does seem to get
> around it, the only problem being that it's serif.

I think Michael Sheets tested a number of Vera Sans Mono derivatives,
but they all showed the problem.

The bug is pretty weird -- I can actually cd to ~/Library/Fonts and
gzip my Bitstream Vera Sans Mono font, then gunzip it, go back to TM,
and suddenly I have beautiful (correct) bolding (when text is
redrawn), and it makes a huge visual difference!

For this reason alone, I'm likely going to switch to using the Cocoa
font rendering stuff in some future (long term) version, since these
do not show the problem (AFAIK). Unfortunately they can't really
synthesize bold for fonts which lack it (like Monaco), which is also
quite a loss, as that's the default font.