[TxMt] Bolding and antialiasing (and possibly Markdown)

Jeffrey E. Forcier jforcier at strozllc.com
Mon Dec 19 03:44:55 UTC 2005

Hey all,

Thanks to Allan & co (is there really an '& co'?) for all the hard
work--been using TM for about a year and still loving it :) I'm
having an odd issue which I fear is actually a feature and not a bug
(and I'm not even positive it's TM's fault), so to speak, but am
asking anyway.

Most monospaced fonts such as Monaco, Bitstream Vera Sans Mono,
Andale Mono, &c, show up as vaguely bold when antialiasing is turned
on; however I only realized this recently when messing around with
Markdown and its syntax highlighting.

When surrounding text with double asterisks, which as I'm sure
everyone knows is Markdown for bold, the text actually gets *less
bold* compared to the rest of the text! With antialiasing off, the
amount of bolding is normal, e.g. stuff in double-asterisks is
noticeably stronger than everything else.

When using Courier or Courier New, things also look more normal (with
antialiasing on *or* off). However, I hate coding with serif fonts,
so just switching to Courier isn't really an option. I've looked
around a bit for other fonts but so far they all display the same
behavior as the bunch mentioned earlier.

So. Is this something TextMate is doing, or is it at the system
level? In the various terminal apps I've never had issues like this.
And regardless, does anyone have any suggestions? I realize that at
the end of the day it's a silly thing to complain about, but I tend
to be a stickler about stuff like this; if, when writing in Markdown,
my italics are italic, I'd like my bolds to be bold too =)

Thanks for your time,
Jeff

--
Jeffrey E. Forcier
Junior Developer, Research and Development

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No right to
confidential or privileged treatment of this message is waived or lost
by any error in transmission.  If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail or by telephone at
212.981.6540, delete the message and all copies from your system and
destroy any hard copies.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.