[TxMt] New Users Question

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 8 18:56:46 UTC 2005

Patrick,
On Dec 8, 2005, at 7:56 AM, Patrick Mast wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a xbase programmer. The files I edit are .PRG files. A .PRG
> file is a source file for any xbase compiler (xHarbour, Clipper,
> Xbase, Microsoft FoxPro, etc)
>
> How can I configure TextMate so it highlights my source code
> correctly?

1) First, you want to create a new bundle, so you open the bundle
editor (ctrl-cmd-shift-b) and click on the plus on the bottom left,
and choose "new bundle". This creates a new bundle. Name it
appropriately.
2) In that bundle, you create a new language, named probably the same
way. This already comes with some defaults.
3) Then you need to edit this to do what you want it to. You probably
would want to read the "syntax highlight" part of the help, and to
look at the code for some of the similar languages to xbase, for
inspiration. That should get you started. Then you email the list if
you get stuck.
4) I would suggest that you copy the contents of the language file
onto a new textmate window, and edit it there, and then paste back.
In the next version an "edit in textmate.." option thingy will make
this step easier. If you set the language to "language definition" it
will probably even look nice while you edit it.
5) Once done, add it to the repository for everyone's enjoyment. :-)

Good luck.
Haris