[TxMt] multi-row tabs

Domenico Carbotta domenico.carbotta at fastwebnet.it
Wed Dec 7 18:42:08 UTC 2005

> i've used both windows and linux machines for a long time, before
> switching to a mac a year and a half ago, and they both offer
> multiple lines of rows in most cases.

windows isn't my idea of "user-friendly" or "elegant" interface, and
the same goes for KDE (which is like windows-on-steroids). gnome
might be a little more elegant -- to the point of being austere.

> for text document like applications i definitely don't think it's a
> bad design decision for the use case of being able to see ALL my
> documents that i have open with a quick glance.

multiple rows of tabs aren't the way. having more than one row of
them simply destroys the metaphore, having the rows move according to
which item is selected destroys consistence, and (last but not least)
it severely impedes keyboardability.

> again, these are apple UI _guidelines_ not words from god you must
> obey.

1. steve jobs is god -- at least, don't tell him he's not, he might
be upset ;)
2. note how programs that follow the spirit of the guidelines (give
or take a pixel) end up feeling native and integrated to the system.
the current tab appearence is _not_ the one prescribed by the HIG,
yet they hold to the spirit. two rows of tabs break the spirit of the
rules themselves (predictability, consistence, keyboardability to
name a few). -1 all the way for me.

> allan stated below that he will be re-working things for 1.2, so
> i'll say no more on the topic and just wait for the changes to
> occur...

I'm pretty sure allan will do the Right Thing, whatever it is… and I
think he's already got some ideas, he just doesn't want to disclose
them ;)

ciao,

Domenico