[TxMt] TM as outliner?

Eric Hsu erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
Tue Dec 6 15:10:28 UTC 2005

I love outliners. I use OmniOutliner all the time (and used TAO before that).

I do sometimes use TM for a quick and dirty outline, just using tabs
to mark levels. I wrote a bundle "Outliners" which exports a simple
tab outline into various formats (HTML, Markdown, OPML, LaTeX... I
forget what else) which is in the svn repository.

TM is not out of the box ready for outlining, but it has almost all
of the needed functionality.

1. Folding could allow collapsing of outline pieces. I didn't follow
the latest changes to folding technology, but it's possible that
commands can either presently or in the future control folding so one
could fold all items at a certain level.

2. Lines beginning with different tabs could be scoped as different
levels and hence one could adjust the style sheet so lines began with
bullets, etc. If the levels were defined in a nested way, i.e.
outline.1, outline.1.1, etc., then I believe styles would even be
inherited by sublevels cleanly.

3. Numbering could be done on a refresh basis, but I'm not sure it
could be done live.

4. The big issue here is that there isn't currently a way for tabbed
lines to be indented (i.e. lines always wrap to column 1). This is on
Allan's To Do.

5. Commands to move bullets around the hierarchy seem straightforward
to do, but would probably need to parse the whole document and would
slow down with very large outlines. But I believe this would be very
acceptable for 99% of documents.

6. Cloning seems much harder to do. Multiple columns seem like
technically not an issue (tab delimiters), but likely a formatting
disaster.

best wishes, Eric
--
Eric Hsu, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
San Francisco State University
erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
http://math.sfsu.edu/hsu