[TxMt] TM & Latex

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at je-ju.net
Thu Apr 14 08:52:44 UTC 2005

On 14-04-2005 03:39, Paul McCann wrote:
> For what it's worth, the synchronisation behaviour here isn't the same
> as Flashmode (a la Claus Gerhardt's work): the latter provides "real
> time processing" of the input file, so that you see what you're
> producing as you type. That is, the file is being processed behind the
> scenes, and changes to the pdf file are produced on the fly.

This is very nice and all, but it kinda goes against the philosophy
behind LaTeX, which is to seperate content from representation. So that
you can focus on the content first and on the layout later.

I know that everyone has used Word and is used to doing both at the same
time. But LaTeX takes the layout of the whole document into account, so
doing layout when you're halfway finished is a bit silly.
LaTeX can do a pretty good job if you don't meddle with it or try to
force it to do things. A while ago, I wrote a paper and once it was
finished I had to do some touches here and there to perfect the layout
(change some sentences to get nice word breaking), but that was it.

Jeroen.

--
               "We apologize for the inconvenience"
            (See "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy")