[TxMt] Light Text/Black Background?!?

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 08:52:15 UTC 2005

On 5 Apr 2005, at 23:22, Ben Jackson wrote:
> Don't know why I hadn't considered this before... my partner looked at
> my screen today while I was coding some JS and said "Are you crazy?
> You're going to ruin your eyes with that!" I did some cursory research
> (read: Google) and found conflicting opinions on the subject... but
> most seem to agree that black ground/light text is VERY bad for
> eyestrain.

Hmm, interesting. I personally find it easier on and less tiring for my
eyes with a dark-ish background, but perhaps that is harmful anyway ?
However, something that we might not consider enough is the quality of
the screen we are working on. I recently switched from a 4 year old 19"
PC screen to an iMac G5 and the quality difference between them was
truly *frightening* !! So, I've probably already screwed up my eyesight
during those 4 years.

> Taking this under consideration, I'd like to change the defaults for
> the JS bundle, but the prefs only allow for changing the defaults. How
> can I do this, ... ?

Before I tell you how to do it, please consider that sometime soon (?)
Allan will release 1.1b6 which will give you the end user much better
control of your syntax highlighting through a style sheet like
scenario. (much discussed in the archive)

IF you can't wait for b6 then you have two options:

1. Have a look at the JavaScript (PHP) version - part of the
PHP.tmbundle up on the SVN repos. It's more muted in contrast and
colours and is in my humble opinion better than the default JS version.
(A slightly reworked version of the JS (PHP) version will most likely
replace the default JS version after b6 anyway)

2.	Open up the JavaScript.tmbundle/Syntaxes/JavaScript.plist either in
~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/ or else inside the
TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Bundles/

and then change the following to the colours you'd like/prefer:
	foregroundColor = "#dddddd";
	backgroundColor = "#111111";

Hope that will help you.

Kind regards,

Mats

----
"TextMate, coding with an incredible sense of joy and ease"
- www.macromates.com -