[TxMt] Replace the drawer

Jonathan Chaffer jchaffer at structureinteractive.com
Tue Apr 5 18:39:56 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005, at 2:31 PM, Todd Boland wrote:

> I am not a big fan of the drawer widget. I was excited to hear that
> apple mail is dropping the drawer come 10.4. I would like to request
> comments about converting the drawer to a mini panel (the type that
> disappears when focus is lost). near the top of the panel, there would
> be a drop down which would list all open projects and files (if an
> open file has it's own window). as you focus a new window, the mini
> panel will update to reflect the currently focused window's project or
> file. in the case of a file, the mini panel would be blank.

I would dislike this. The physical attachment of the file list to the
project window is very meaningful and useful to me.

If TextMate were to move to a "source pane" like iTunes and the new
Mail instead of the drawer, that would be fine (as well as consistent
with those apps). I don't have a problem with the drawer, though.

What are your reservations about the drawer? I know it can sometimes
"forget" its assigned width and height when the window is resized, due
to some window manager bugs. Anything else?