[TxMt] RegEx Tool

John Lianogou lists at arachnedesign.net
Sat Apr 2 23:37:10 UTC 2005

Nick,

My gut tells me that such a tool can only benefit people who are
unfamiliar with regexp... maybe just starting out using it.. this is
typically a "short" period for a developer (I would imagine anywhere
from a week to a month?)...

Those time frames, under certain conditions, may not be "short" at
all... but I'm actually using the term "short" relative to the proposed
price.

Generally speaking, either you use regexp, or you don't. And if you
*do* use regexp, you're likely not to want something that aims to guess
them for you... mostly because I feel like the tool only shifts the
burden rather than alleviating it... and may well create a greater
burden in other areas.

Let me explain:

In cases where the regular expression is in fact non-trivial, a user
would have to spend a good amount of time coming up with all the test
cases that the tool would need to create the appropriate regexp...
leaving you with the task of reviewing the output.

And backreferences would really be a nightmare!  :-)

Though I could see some sort of RE Unit Testing solution to be
potentially useful... something to keep a collection of test strings to
be used against an expression. Find something along the way that breaks
it, but shouldn't: add it to the regexp's test list!

Though, $20 is a bit steep for that.  :-)

jL