[TxMt] Order of open files window tabs question ??

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Oct 29 20:32:10 UTC 2004

On 29. Oct 2004, at 12:13, Timothy Martens wrote:

>> I'm all for options, and I think the option I'd personally choose is
>> to have new tabs open at the end of the list.
> me too. append to end please.

The rationale behind the current behavior is 1) if you open a new file,
you can use cmd-option-left to get back to the previous file and 2) if
your tab-bar overflows, it's still possible to get tabs opened in the
visible portion of the tab-bar.

With regard to #1 then there's IMHO a further problem with opening a
file and closing it again, since it doesn't go back to the previously
open file. I've thought about changing the close-semantics (so that it
always selects the tab to the left of the one it closes, instead of the
one to the right) -- but I'm not sure I really like this.

I do have a neat solution planned for #2, but #1 becomes a problem if I
change the current behavior. I've seen the request for LIFO behavior of
tabs at the wiki (which seems to support the desire to keep #1), but I
need a concrete explanation of exactly how this LIFO behavior should
act, since only the goal is clear to me, not how to actually obtain it.

Comments (I've already noted two votes for changing it and/or an option
;) )?

Kind regards Allan