[TextMate] smart typing in 1.0.2b1

Eric Hsu erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
Mon Oct 25 20:38:33 UTC 2004

It's great to see such weekly improvement of this product!

Smart typing is almost incredibly cool. I like the 'no doubling if
there's text in front' and the 'surround selection with braces' is
awesome... I was about to try to write a macro or command to simulate
this.

Issue 1. Documents with syntax highlighting disabled don't have smart
typing turned on, regardless of setting. I assume this is a little
bug and not intended behavior.

Issue 2.  If I'm typing in the middle of the ()'s, I still have to
right-arrow over the last ) to get to the rest of the typing.  Am I
supposed to be able to Tab out of the braces somehow?  Otherwise,
it's not really saving me a keystroke since -> and ) are about
equally hard for me to hit.

Alpha under OS9 had an interesting implementation of this, where they
used bullets like • to mark tab stops; then when you hit Tab,
you knew you were jumping to the next bullet...

- Eric
--
Eric Hsu, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
San Francisco State University
erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
http://math.sfsu.edu/hsu