[TextMate] Thoughts on doubleclick selection

John Blitch phiporiphic at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 01:05:54 UTC 2004

Hello!

I have to get this out of my system: this is possibly my favorite new
mac app. Amazing work!

Anyway, these are my thoughts about how TextMate should respond to
double-clicks on text, based on my preferences and the way other mac
applications like BBedit or TextEdit perform.

When I double click on whitespace, I like for the selection to stop at
the beginning/end of the line, or the nearest adjacent non-whitespace
character, whichcever comes first:

[     ]word word

Textmate selects the white space until the beginning/end of the line,
or the nearest adjacent word, whichever comes first:

[     word] word

When I double click on a word, and then shift click to the right or
left of the selected word, I like the selection to expand to include
the word or whitespace I shift-clicked on:

     [word] --> [     word]

Textmate, interestingly, does this when I click to the right of a
selected word, but when I click to the left of one, the selection is
changed to the characters between where I clicked and the beginning of
the old selection:

     word [word] --> [word ]word

I'd say it's praise that this is my biggest gripe after switching to
TextMate a little less than 24 hours ago. Yeay textmate!

John