[TextMate] Web Preview Enhancements

James Adam james at lazyatom.com
Fri Oct 22 11:55:46 UTC 2004

(copied from http://interblah.net/2004/10/22/textmate-web-preview/ )

I have posted some feedback about the Web Preview to the
[wiki](http://wiki.macromates.com), along with a
[screenshot](http://www.lazyatom.com/media/images/textmate-web-
preview.jpg). I'm happy to provide my revised .nib file too.

In summary, and in order of perceived importance, the changes are:

* changed the base font size of the OakWebPreview to 14 - this way it
matches at least my setup for Safari and Firefox, and I'm not aware of
every having changed the defaults in those apps. Either way, ENSURE
that the font sizes are similar, otherwise the preview is pretty much
useless.
* move, resize, relabel and re-anchor the "Back", "Forward", and
"Reload" buttons. The top row of controls is now Back, Forward, URL,
Reload. This more closely-matches real browsers. The Reload could be
placed to the left of the URL, the important point is that these
controls go on top
* Remove the window texture - it's unnecessary, and unattractive. This
isn't a rant against metal, I like metal, it's just *better* as aqua
here.
* Resize the "Show Options" checkbox to "small", and place it flush
against the bottom of the view. Then Increase the vertical size of the
OakWebPreview accordingly.

### Feature Requests

1. Have the web preview always shown, if it has been opened. It should
then display whatever is in the selected tab, if the file meets some
"web previewable" criteria. If the current tab is showing an html file,
or a php file, or a .asp file, change the web preview to it, otherwise,
leave it displaying the last file that did match.
This will enable a lot of very useful editing, like changing the CSS
and having the preview update automagically, as outlined next.

2. Have another option which updates the preview, after whatever delay,
if ANY file in the project is changed. This way, I can:
     * edit an html, open the web preview
     * check the NEW "update if any file is modified" option on the web
preview (a project-persistent option)
     * switch to the CSS (or JS, whatever) in the project. Note that
since CSS/JS aren't "previewable", the web preview window still shows
the html file
     * as changes are made to the file, the web preview is told to
update, with whatever delay
     * now, the consequences of any changes I make to external files are
updated automatically in the preview
     This feature would REALLY kick ass. You know it.

3. Keep the "Base URL" persistent within a single project. Store the
base url within that project! This doesn't require a preference, just
each time it's manually updated, change the entry in the .tmproj file

None of these features/fixes are very hard, nor can I think of any way
that they negatively impair the current workings of TextMate - what are
the chances of seeing any of them in 1.0.2?