[TextMate] Shifting Selections and Folded Sections

Gavin Kistner gavin at refinery.com
Thu Oct 21 14:33:14 UTC 2004

1) If I put the cursor at the front of a collapsed, folded section and
press tab, I expected (and desire) it to be the equivalent of
performing a Shift Right on the entire fold.

2) (more controversial, perhaps) if I select a few lines, starting in
the middle of the first line, I expect/desire Shift Right and Left to
apply to the start of the line where the selection starts, not to
insert tabs in the middle of it.

In the following example, | marks the start and end of the selection:

class Foo
	def bar
	puts "That's gre|at it starts with an earthquake"
	puts "birds and snakes and aeroplanes"
	puts "and Lenny |Bruce is not afraid."
	end
end

This selection is because I was in the middle of the word 'great' and
performed shift+down arrow twice.

When I Shift Right, it should do this:
class Foo
	def bar
|		puts "That's great it starts with an earthquake"
		puts "birds and snakes and aeroplanes"
		puts "and Lenny Bruce is not afraid."           |
	end
end

And not this:
class Foo
	def bar
	puts "That's gre	|at it starts with an earthquake"
		puts "birds and snakes and aeroplanes"
		puts "and Lenny |Bruce is not afraid."
	end
end

A workaround that I suppose I could get used to is to perform Select
Line after selecting the text, before shifting...but that should happen
automatically. (As noted in the example, the act of shifting left/right
should not only affect the entire line, it should also select the full
lines.)

Operating in rectangular selection/column mode is a different story,
but doesn't change how it should (IMO) behave in this case.
--