[TextMate] Heuristic for smart typing pairs

Chris Jenkins chrisjenkins at mac.com
Wed Oct 20 09:43:11 UTC 2004

Ive been watching a few colleagues of mine using TextMate and one of them
has switched off the smart typing as she finds it doesn't really help her,
the reason is to do with the way she works, which admittedly is slightly
inefficient, but I myself have fallen foul of this as well, here's what she
does:

She types a word and then decides it needs to be a string, so she steps the
caret back to the start of the word and types a quote, but 2 quotes get
added so she then has to delete one of them, then she moves to the end of
the word and types the closing quote, and the same thing happens. So she
switches the feature off as its "annoying". Now she could make a command to
wrap a selection in quotes (as I have done), but it would be nicer if it
could be smarter about when to insert the pair.

Perhaps the pair of characters only get added if they are surrounded by
white space, or if some customisable regex is matched?

Chris