[TextMate] Custom Shell Variables question

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 12:38:56 UTC 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 01:47, Allan Odgaard wrote in reply to Mats'
numerous questions:

> Not sure how much shell stuff you know!?!

Hmm, well not enough it seems. : )  Have written a number of
conditional shell scripts that create back-ups of MySQL DBs; httpd.conf
files and so on which in my world is pretty advanced.  My problem has
more to do with understanding the logic behind it all. Sort of why do I
do this rather than that ???  Never been good at grammar, so I am slow
in understanding the underlying structure of the shell world, and I end
up being confused.

Hence I did not realise that I just needed the 'echo' in there, which
is obvious to me now.  Thanks for taking the time to point that out for
me. Both you & Sune. Much appreciated.

>> Perhaps I could suggest that you guys who know and understand this
>> stuff could create a ShellScriptCorner on the wiki where you could
>> translate the incomprehensible stuff into examples and ENGLISH for us
>> non-geek's. Because the writers of man files and online UNIX guides
>> sure as hell hasn't.
> It's a good idea, though personally I'm probably better at answering
> concrete questions than writing general tutorials/documentation.

I created such a page on the wiki, and will try to get the above
problem up there as an example in the next few days.

Kind regards,

Mats