[TextMate] Custom Shell Variables question

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Tue Oct 19 03:00:42 UTC 2004

On Oct 18, 2004, at 5:47 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

>> Perhaps I could suggest that you guys who know and understand this
>> stuff could create a ShellScriptCorner on the wiki where you could
>> translate the incomprehensible stuff into examples and ENGLISH for us
>> non-geek's. Because the writers of man files and online UNIX guides
>> sure as hell hasn't.
>
> It's a good idea, though personally I'm probably better at answering
> concrete questions than writing general tutorials/documentation.

On Oct 18, 2004, at 5:47 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

Perhaps I could suggest that you guys who know and understand this
stuff could create a ShellScriptCorner on the wiki where you could
translate the incomprehensible stuff into examples and ENGLISH for us
non-geek's. Because the writers of man files and online UNIX guides
sure as hell hasn't.

It's a good idea, though personally I'm probably better at answering
concrete questions than writing general tutorials/documentation.

My recommendation would be to buy a copy of the Ruby Pickaxe
<http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/> and write all of your
shell scripts that will be executed inline in TextMate thusly:

ruby <<END
#...place ruby code here...
puts "$TM_FILEPATH" # for example
END

This might be easier if one could directly specify the interpreter to
be used (like /usr/bin/ruby instead of sh) for a given
script/scriptlet, in the manner of Xcode's shell script build phases.

Chris