[TextMate] some suggestions for search & replace

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Mon Oct 18 09:17:48 UTC 2004

On 18. Oct 2004, at 6:49, Tobias Luetke wrote:

> - If the current selection is only a single line the "search in
> selection" default doesn't make much sense.

It's _replace_ in selection (Replace All Scope), so it does *not*
affect normal searches. And to me it _does_ make sense. For example
when I want to (un)escape stuff in a string.

> Instead it would be nice if it could prefill the search field with the
> current selection.

I get that a lot, but to me that would be rather destructive, and Apple
has cmd-e as part of the AHIG to do exactly this thing! It's Edit ->
Find -> Use Selection for Find in the menus, and it works in _all_
Cocoa applications (probably also most Carbon), so get used to using
it! :) It also works across applications, so you can e.g. press cmd-e
in your browser, and then cmd-g in TextMate to find what you'd selected
in the browser.

Kind regards Allan