[TextMate] Mirror typing bug

Chris Jenkins chrisjenkins at mac.com
Fri Oct 15 13:39:15 UTC 2004

Allan,

I've found a bug with mirror typing in that I seem to be able to get stuck
in mirror typing mode. It seems related to how many tab completions there
are, if I tab all the way through them and then press tab one more time then
mirror typing is cancelled, but if I ignore one of them then the file in
question gets stuck with mirror typing on and some very odd things happen
(like multiple copies of whatever text Im typing appearing on the same
line). Once in this weird mode the line upon which the mirror typing was
initially active seems to remain in this mode, other lines in the same file
are fine, hitting tab again seems to kill it off.

I reckon there are a couple of possible solutions to this seeing as how it
is difficult to tell when the user wants to abandon mirror mode and return
to normal, you could use a key press to cancel the mode, like escape for
example, and you could supplement that with some form of user feedback about
which mode you are in, an icon in the status bar or something would be
useful, or I guess you could just improve your rules for automatically
figuring out which mode the user is in.

Anyway, just thought you should know, keep up the good work, the betas are
looking great!

Chris Jenkins