[TextMate] Love for Textmate, and some thoughts/observations

Raena Armitage raena at raena.net
Fri Oct 8 13:16:39 UTC 2004

Hey,

Thanks for a really neat product.  I'm still messing about with it, but
I think it's a keeper.

I've noticed some things, though --

Odd help behaviour: the tooltip that appears when you hover over the
Commands textarea says that you can use the purple help icon to get a
full list of TextMate's exported variables, but that just goes to the
Commands reference page instead.  There's a small link to the list of
variables, sure, but maybe the list of variables belongs on that page
too? (or it should link there as advertised, instead?)

Also, why does selecting Help *from the Help menu,* while the commands
window is open, mean that it goes to that page?  I understand that
context is cool, but I expect to find that choosing '(AppName) Help'
from the Help menu would take me to the app's help index page.

Second: the whole dealie about the preferences window has been
discussed, it seems, but it's also something I miss. While there's
nothing that really *has* to be in a preference window, it seems
logical to me that per-document options ought to be kept well away from
the permanent ones.

Third, I'm not sure if it's my own font problems or not, but I've never
noticed it any other place -- when I'm using any bitmap font the first
character in a line has a larger gap between it and the next character.
  You can see this in action here:
<http://www.raena.net/images/gappy.gif>

Fourth, why is Page Up and Down moving the insertion point?  Can one
change that at all?

And finally, I'm not really concerned with (s)ftp support myself since
I prefer to use Transmit, but does anyone know how i can tell Transmit
to make TextMate available in its list of external editors? Can that be
done at all?