[TextMate] Feedback and feature requests

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Oct 8 07:01:20 UTC 2004

On 6. Oct 2004, at 21:01, Kevin Hunt wrote:

> The single biggest problem I've found so far is that it seems to load
> files
> entirely into memory.  Try loading a 100MB enterprise server log in
> TextMate
> and you'll see it die while consuming megabyte after megabyte of
> memory.

There'll be a special mode for mapped files, but this is "sometime in
the future", sorry.

> The second feature I'm looking for is a hex view/edit/search&replace.

I would like to have a hex mode, but it has low priority. What you can
do is let 'xxd' convert it to hex, edit the file, and let 'xxd' convert
it back.  Although not as elegant.

> Finally -- and this should be the easy one -- please add a "count"
> button to
> the search window.  Often I want to count the occurrences of a certain
> error
> message in a log, or see how many things I'm about to change by
> search&replace.

Ah, that's quite cool! I've added it to the to do.

Kind regards Allan