[TextMate] OCaml bundle + observations

William Douglas Neumann wdnx at unm.edu
Thu Oct 7 21:31:55 UTC 2004

If anyone out there is looking for a language bundle for OCaml, I just
mailed an early version to Ian Phillips for inclusion in his page -- he
should be sending a notice to this list when it becomes available.  But if
you just can't wait that long, feel free to email me at this address for a
copy.

In addition, here are a couple more observations/issues/pleas for help I
came across while creating the OCaml bundle:

1: I would like a preference to tell TM to *not* open a new document upon
launch.

2: Oh my god... these global preferences are driving me absolutely batty.
I really want things like soft wrap to column x to not be a global state.
Please, please, please make it a temporary or per file thing -- I'm sure
you've heard enough preference complaints to last a few months, so I'll
stop there.

3: On folds, the starting marker is shown before the ..., I think it would
be aesthetically pleasing if the ending marker were also present.

4: Does anyone know how to handle nested comments?  In OCaml, the
following is a valid comment Note: the (* and *) are comment delimiters:

(* this is a comment (* with a nested comment *) blah, blah *)

Now, if I use the basic pattern:
{ name = "OCaml Comment"; begin = "\\(\\*"; end = "\\*\\)"; <snip> }, then
the closing delimiter of the nested comment ends the comment, and "blah,
blah *)" is not colored as a comment.  If I try to swallow the internal
comment with this pattern:
 		{ name = "OCaml Comment"; begin = "\\(\\*"; end =
"\\*\\)"; swallow = "\\(\\*.*\\*\\)"; <snip> }, then the comment coloring
does not end with the comment.  I'm a bit of a regex schnook, so any help
here would be appreciated...

5: Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but code inserted via Snippets is
not indented according to the syntax rules.

William D. Neumann
<wdnx at unm.edu>

---
Dear Lord, please make me the kind of person
my dog thinks I am.