[TextMate] Why there is no preferences window

Michael A. Alderete lists-2003 at alderete.com
Thu Oct 7 18:44:37 UTC 2004

>[The following is not refering to the current version of TM; it's just
>a general discussion.]
>
>To break it down, you could say that there are four levels on which to
>change settings:
>1. Globally.
>2. Per language.
>3. Per project.
>4. Per file or document.
>
>...and two modes:
>A. Permanent changes.
>B. Temporary changes.
>
>The_most flexible_ system would then be the ability to change on all
>levels, in both modes. In pratice, this is probably not desirable as it
>would bloat the interface almost no matter how it is done.

While it is possible to describe the universe of preference possibilities
in this way, I think what's being advocated (at least by Andrew, and
myself) is much more simple:

1. Global, permanent. This amounts to being a default language, like #2 next.

2. Per language, permanent. A "default" language could take the place of
#1, previous.

3. Per *window*, temporary. These are changes from the permanent settings
that affect a document, which you might enable via the menus, and which
last only until you close the window. Opening the same document again will
revert to the permanent, per-language settings.

I can certainly see the value in a per project settings scope, too, but I'd
suggest it makes sense to see 1-3 above implemented first, since that would
likely cover 80% of what people seem to be advocating here.

And, it's also simpler to do 1-3 (really, 2-3 with a default language),
because they don't involve saving settings per document; all permanent
settings are for the application, even though there are different settings
sets that apply to different documents.

Michael