[TextMate] feature request: better support for .textClipping files

Jeff Ganyard lists at bebop.net
Thu Oct 7 18:42:05 UTC 2004

I hate .textClipping files, they are some kind of bastard
implementation of a file. They really aren't terribly useable but they
are easy to create and so show up far too often. I've never looked into
the format but I don't understand why Apple didn't just make them txt
or rtf files. Instead they created a specially functioning file that is
not well supported.

.textClipping files are supported as expected if you drag from the
Finder to an open document in TextMate, i.e. the contents are inserted
at the insertion point.

Dropping a .textClipping file on TextMate's app icon opens a new empty
window with the textClipping's name. Desired behavior would be to
display the textClipping's contents. Bonus points for making the
textClipping editable!

Selecting a textClipping in the project drawer displays an empty window
with the title set to the textClipping file's title. Desired behavior
would be to display the textClipping's contents. Bonus points for
making the textClipping editable.

Dragging a textClipping file from a project window to the currently
displayed document results in no change to the current document.
Desired behavior is to insert the contents of the textClipping file at
the insertion point, i.e. the same behavior as dragging from the
Finder.

thanks for listening!