[TextMate] Preferences window (was ProFont)

Ryan Platte ryan.platte at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 15:56:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 00:10:17 +0200, Carl-Johan Kihlbom <extra at newcode.se> wrote:
> I don't agree, but I see where you're coming from. I think I'll just
> have to start a Preferences for TextMate petition :-D Who's with me?!

Me and Apple Computer, Inc., for starters.

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 01:35:01 +0200, Sune Foldager <cryo at diku.dk> wrote:
> > Yes, it annoyed me. It doesn't take much to knock a user off his
> > stride.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm discouraged by this thread, I hope TextMate won't be another
product whose developers think they know better than Apple's UI team
AND negatively-surprised users.

Like, say, BBEdit.

:-(

Please, guys, don't make us argue the carefully-considered conventions
of Mac software to you; we're potential customers who need software
that fits us. You've created something that fits your needs and
aesthetics, which is a great start. Now adapt it to suit your target
audience (all of whom are Mac users, by the by) without ruining it for
yourselves, and the world will have another piece of great software
instead of another mediocre wanna-be.

If you don't understand folks' objections to abandoning conventions
from the Apple HIG, please explain why your way is an *improvement* --
right now all we know is that it's different, and that's apparently
not enough for some of us who understand the separation of document
state and application state that the Preferences window makes
explicit. What problem does this deviance from user expectations
solve?

Thanks for your great work so far.

--
Ryan Platte