[TextMate] Encoding glitch?

Michael Gregoire mgee at gwi.net
Thu Oct 7 14:18:31 UTC 2004

I've been trying out TextMate to decide whether it's worth purchasing.
One thing has happened twice when writing php with it. My best guess is
that it's an encoding problem of some sort. For some reason when I
create new document in TextMate SOMETIMES php refuses to parse the
document at all, in fact even if I try inserting some test html code,
it also doesn't parse. What I end up with in the browser is an empty
page. Viewing the source reveals this to be so. I've tried reopening
the document with new encoding from the file menu... I've also reverted
to trying to convert the encoding in bbedit and yet it still doesn't
load in the browser. This only happens sometimes. Other times, there
are no problems with the php file. I've combed through the faulty files
for script errors and debugged the code thoroughly, it isn't a problem
with the code. So far I haven't been able to pinpoint what the
difference is between the files that have no problems and the faulty
ones. The ONLY solution was completely writing the exact same code in a
new document in bbedit.

I want desperately to leave bbedit for textmate, but this issue is a
major bump in the road for me. Anybody else have a similar problem? Any
suggestions? Maybe something I'm missing?

Thanks

Mike