[TextMate] Snippets, and Selected Text

Justin French justin.french at indent.com.au
Thu Oct 7 14:14:45 UTC 2004

On 07/10/2004, at 5:44 PM, timothy martens wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2004, at 8:52 AM, Noel D.Jackson wrote:
>
>> I've already submitted this to "the boys", however I figured i'd
>> bring it up here.
>>
>> For a snippet, there should be a variable say "$s" that references
>> the text selected when the snippet was acted on, so that say, if I
>> select noel at noeljackson.com and click on my href snippet, it will
>> replace $s with noel at noeljackson.com, allowing easy creation of
>> headers etc in HTML without going back, or creating macros.
>
> Agreed, a selected text variable is a must. I hope we can get this
> high on the version 1.2 list please

In the meantime, I use Macros for this... in fact, check out "Selection
as Anchor" in the Macro's list (Ctl-Shift-L as well).  It will turn the
current word or selected text into an <a href... link.  It works with
both words and email address'.

noel at noeljackson.com => <a
href="mailto:noel at noeljackson.com">noel at noeljackson.com</a>
about => <a href="about.html">about</a>

Incidently, I think I'll change the name of "Selection as Anchor" to
"Make HTML Link" in 1.01, since everyone seems to overlook it.

Justin