[TextMate] First impressions

timothy martens timfm at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Oct 7 07:01:13 UTC 2004

On Oct 6, 2004, at 7:01 AM, Nick Hristov wrote:

> Let the flamewars begin!

Easy!

>> 6. Context sensitive code completion that is included in skedit and
>> DW (XHTML/CSS are most importnat to me).
>
> In my opinion that is a bad idea. This will bloat the editor. XHTML
> and CSS are not all that hard to learn, and you can quickly learn by
> heart the properties. Is this going to save you that much typing?

Yes it is. When your working on a 1000 lines of CSS with as many ids
and classes it REALLY helps to have your editor be able to give you
those names in context. Yet again I refer to Topstyle as the ultimate
example of how to implement this and I would urge the developers to
play with that application in-depth. No need to reinvent the wheel in
terms of interaction design patterns.

> 2. The issue about CSS.
>
> Again, this would unnecessarily bloat the editor.

Then make it a module that you can load optionally

> CSSEdit is a great stand-alone application, it does what it is
> supposed to do perfectly.

It's not that great. Especially if your coming from the darkside (PC)
and have operated in the Homesite/Topstyle environment. Comparitively,
CSSEdit is rather immature. I don't mean to knock it. I own it and it
is a good, but it doesn't come close to its PC counterpart -- Topstyle
-- That is an app that DOES WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO PERFECTLY

> Just run it in conjunction with TextMate.

Why? The CSS are text files. Textmate is a text editor. When I'm
developing I want my CSS embedded in the head of my doc so I can tweak
and preview, tweak and preview, tweak and preview EASILY.