[TextMate] Preferences window (was ProFont)

Jan Sabbe jan.sabbe at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Oct 7 00:28:15 UTC 2004

Op 7-okt-04 om 00:04 heeft Sune Foldager het volgende geschreven:

> On 6/10-2004, at 23:55, Carl-Johan Kihlbom wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand your argument about the Preferences. TextMate
>> still has a lot of preferences, such as font, antialiasing, tab
>> width, etc., but instead of keeping them all together in one place
>> where they're easy to find they are spread out and hidden among the
>> other menus. How is that easy and straight forward?
>
> I don't agree that they are spread out and hidden... well, they are
> spread out but they arein the menus where they logically belong. For
> example, font setting is in the view menu, stuff that determines how
> the editor reacts to your input is in the behaviour menu, and stuff
> relating to syntax is also in the view menu etc. Putting it all in a
> prefs window is not much better: It takes longer time to change, and
> many people will check the menus first to see if it is not considered
> "deep" enough to end up in the prefs, I think.

Well, I can't speak for other people, but one of the first things I
wanted to do when I started TextMate, was change fore and background
color of a normal text window (to white on black).
The first thing I did was go to the Applications menu, to check if
there was a Preferences dialog.. Now, it wasn't hard to find it in the
View menu I wondered two things when doing this, would it change color
for just one window, or for all windows in the applications. I also
wondered if it would save state. It wasn't really a big problem, but in
my personal case, a Preferences window would have been more
natural/obvious. It didn't really annoy me, but it would just be
smoother.

It's good that you try to minimize the number of preferences, but I
would add a Preferences window, and put in any option that works on the
entire application and that saves state accross application startups.
(font, color,..). I mean, it's not because that you don't call it a
preference, that it isn't one. Maybe keep the options in the other menu
bars, but make it only work on the current window.