[TextMate] First impressions

Eric Curtis ecurtis at rgbdesignstudio.com
Wed Oct 6 17:39:21 UTC 2004

On Oct 6, 2004, at 10:01 AM, Nick Hristov wrote:

>> 6. Context sensitive code completion that is included in skedit and
>> DW (XHTML/CSS are most importnat to me).
>
> In my opinion that is a bad idea. This will bloat the editor. XHTML
> and CSS are not all that hard to learn, and you can quickly learn by
> heart the properties. Is this going to save you that much typing?

Hi Nick,

I think your comment is 100% correct but so is mine...I think all too
often people like to think in black and white, a program should or
should not have a particular feature. Whereas a great program is one
that would augment the working style for the particular user.

What one forgets is that users come in all varieties of experience and
that typing code might be the day in day out task for one person while
another user (like me) will switch between working on a 3D project,
motion graphics, illustration or website and that I forget some syntax
on occasion (mostly CSS stuff).

Anyway I would hope that the developer listens to both of us and if it
is something that is requested by many people will not feel the need to
make a boolean choice but rather provide a boolean box for turning a
feature on and off ; )

Warm Regards,

Eric Curtis
http://www.rgbdesignstudio.com

PS. I also like the hinting when I start playing around with a new
language and I have been eyeing ruby...