[TxMt] i-search in TextMate

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Mon Nov 29 00:00:00 UTC 2004

On Nov 29, 2004, at 0:27, Ollivier Robert wrote:

>> value of incremental searching ;) is the advantage that you (can)
>> write shorter search strings than you'd normally do in a find window?
> No, the fact that the search begin at the first character you type and
> refines itself when one types more characters.  Think "Spotlight" (in
> Tiger) or the search in Mail.app or iTunes.

But Mail/iTunes/etc. filter the contents based on the string typed. As
I understand it (and currently see the iSearch plugin function) this
incremental search selects a single item and does no filtering.

So this is (as I see it) realtime feedback on the string you enter in
the find panel (but no new functionality).

With my typing speed I probably have the find panel open for less than
a second, so incremental search wouldn't do anything for me, also
because I rarely synchronize my "typing" with what's going on on the
screen.

That's the reason why I asked if it gave rise to shorter find strings
-- I can imagine that with lesser/no knowledge about the text searched
and/or a slower typing speed and/or more reliance on the visual
feedback given while typing, it could be an advantage to type
letter-by-letter until observing that enough had been typed to find the
desired string.

But maybe I'm overlooking something -- it would be nice to hear from
users of this feature why they see it as an advantage over normal
search.

Speaking in general here, I don't mind implementing features that I
personally have no use for, but I do want to understand why others have
a use for the feature before implementing it! :)