[TxMt] Re: How About a Competition? (was: Textmate Icon proposal)

Johan Sörensen johans at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 22:10:36 UTC 2004

I'm gonna go out on a limb and state that I seem to be one of the few
who actually like the icon. And I'm not just saying that because I
know the author, but because I think it has a lot of personality,
whereas for example a mickey mouse hand holding a pencil just doesn't
say "textmate" to me.

That said, the current icon isn't perfect, as someone else said it's a
little too low on contrast. But nevertheless it is _the_ textmate
icon, changing the brand of textmate, however silly some people seem
to think it is, just doesn't feel right. Iterate it. Make it better.
But starting over from scratch is, in my humble and insignificant
opinion, just stupid.

But in the end, I'm just a user. Even if the icon was changed to a
blue ball with little pink faeries flying about in it, I'd still *use*
textmate instead of complaining about the icon ;)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:42:01 +0000, Stuart Wheeler
<"textmatelist."@mac-fu.com> wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2004, at 20:21, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
> > the TextMate audience is probably mostly non-graphical persons (sorry
> > if I'm offending someone ;) )
>
> I think you would be surprised at the potential audience for TextMate.
>
> Don't forget that there are a significant number of people in the Mac
> community who design websites and who also create a lot of their own
> graphical content too. Most people who use WYSIWYG tools tend to fall
> back on a text editor to clean up a lot of the generated junk. This is
> why BBEdit has macros to clean up code from DreamWeaver et al. For this
> sort of work a good text editor is essential.
>
> Stuart

Johan Sørensen
Professional Futurist
www.johansorensen.com