[TxMt] Sorting File Contents and Selections

Sune Foldager cryo at diku.dk
Sat Nov 20 14:04:50 UTC 2004

On 20. nov 2004, at 13:51, Stuart Wheeler wrote:

> I have a file which is essentially just a list of things. I haven't
> been overly diligent in keeping things in alphabetical order and now I
> want to sort the file. I know that I can use the command line and use
> a UNIX sort on it. In Vim I used to invoke the ! and run it through
> sort, outputting the results back into the buffer without having to
> leave Vim. So, is there a way to do it within TextMate?

Yes, in the menu Text -> Filter Through Command, eveything like that
can be done. There you can also set if you want only the selection or
the entire document fed to the external command, and what to do with
the result. As for column selections, everything works fine whith those
as well :-).

Using the Command menu, you can also set up the commands you use most
frequently, and assign to them hotkeys for fast and easy invocation.

--
Sune.
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"