[TxMt] Creator codes

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Nov 18 22:30:16 UTC 2004

How do people feel about having TextMate set the creator code for saved
files?

1) should it do it only for files w/o extension?
2) for specific (user setable) extensions?
3) have a global on/off switch?
4) be setable in the save panel?

The "problem" with creator codes is that they take precedence over file
extension, so if for example you save a .html file with TextMate, that
file will open in TextMate (if double clicked) even if you've
instructed Finder to use OmniWeb to open HTML files (but you can change
it pr. file though).

So creator codes does IMHO break the "change all" feature of Finder.

Personally I'd probably like #1 from above, maybe #2, though I
generally do prefer my files to have a blank creator code.