[TxMt] project over FTP

M Spreij nemo at mechintosh.com
Mon Nov 8 14:19:22 UTC 2004

On 7. Nov 2004, at 22:02, M Spreij wrote:

>> Has anyone found a way to mount FTP folders as regular folders in the
>> finder (with read/write, not Apple's readonly way)?

Allan Odgaard replied:

> I've read on this list that Interarchy supports mounting ftp disks with
> read/write, and I think Sune told me he'd used it previously.

Hmmzz.. yes, but that's just a copy really which is updated to the server
every so often. Did some searching, Linux has 'lufs' which supports it, but
it doesn't compile under Darwin atm.
(for those interested
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lufs
http://lufs.sourceforge.net/lufs/intro.html)

>> A workaround I got was to open the files seperately, then dragging the
>> window's icons to a new project window (or if you open its parent
>> folder from the titlebar you can drag all the opened files to TM),
>> selecting the files in the project window once so they get a tab, and
>> then you can close the original windows - edit/saves will update the
>> version on the server. If you close the original window without
>> 'tabbing' the file, the temporary file will be removed (and editing
>> will not be possible).

<snip>
> I guess I could postpone “closing” the file till e.g. TM exits -- though
> currently the “document” really is closed and disposed in TM, so I'd
> need to change some code for this to actually work, and since it really
> is just a workaround for not having native-support, which is around the
> corner, I don't think I'll be spending much time on improving this
> currently.

Ah, please leave it as it is - right now it behaves in a logical,
predictable way :-)

Regards,

     Martin