[TxMt] CTRL-k behaviour

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Sat Nov 6 12:18:42 UTC 2004

On 6. Nov 2004, at 8:37, Justin French wrote:

> […] I'm starting to wish everything (Mail.app, where I do the bulk of
> my typing for example) behaved like TM.
>
> Allan -- plug-in for other programs?

What I probably could do was let TM register a service (Edit in
TextMate…), and just “return” the edited text, when the TM window got
closed.

So e.g. from Mail.app you'd do cmd-a and cmd-<something>, and TM would
then show the text, you make the edits, and simply close the window, to
have the text returned to Mail.app.

I can't recall if there are any timeouts to how long TM can work with
the text before having to return the result -- but I can look into
this.

Of course a better solution would be if I wrote an NSTextView
compatible component, but NSTextView exposes a lot of its inner
workings, so making a new component which is API-compatible is much
more work than writing TextMate itself -- plus I'd have to support full
UniCode, proportional fonts, and foreign text input methods (which is
currently something I'm thinking won't be before v1.3 at least).

But down the road I wouldn't mind forking out OakTextView as a
component other applications could use (though it wouldn't be
API-compatible with NSTextView).