[TxMt] PHP Code Completion

Ian White i.w.white at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Nov 5 09:55:22 UTC 2004

Many, many, thanks for TextMate!

> I'll be adding $TM_BUNDLE_DIRECTORY to one of the next betas, then you
> can just put the whole thing into a bundle (i.e. the PHP manual) and
> ship that instead (so it should be a drag'n'drop install).
Great, i'll sort that out when it appears.

<probablyuselessideas>

I'd like to eventually make a code completion add-on (probably not
written in php) that does context sensitive completion, and which
builds a database per project of project symbols.  e.g. when I type
'$this->' and hit the complete key, I'll get a list of methods and
properties of the current class (and methods of parent classes).  The
compiler would use PHPDoc comments and class and function profiles to
build the completion database.
It strikes me that having a TM_ variable that gives the first line of
each enclosing code blocks would be extremely useful for looking up the
correct set of symbols.  Any chance of this?  Or suggestions as to some
other way of doing it?

Also, regarding commands, it would be nice if commands could be
'chained', using the output of one as the input of the other.  In
conjunction with this, if there was a new output type 'list' (like a
snippet popup) then the user's selection could then be fed into a new
command.  That way, code-completion could be interactive.

One last idea, could there be (is there?) some way of storing script
variables across command executions?

</probablyuselessideas>

Thanks again for TextMate, truly awesome.

Ian