[TxMt] 'undoing' for days [gripe]

James Andrews jamesandrews at mac.com
Thu Nov 4 19:51:37 UTC 2004

I would really like to see word or (preferably) chunk based undo.

Having to press undo multiple times or holding it down (in certain
circumstances) to reverse the changes of replacing one word with
another (complete with typos and deletes - my rubbish typing, I'm
afraid) is quite a pain and very slow. Given that TM is so good at
speeding up code entry (with snippets, etc.) in so many other areas, it
would be great if this aspect could be quicker (I often enter
experimental lines of code in different places and rely on undo to
reverse them if I'm not happy).

I can understand that there may be situations (or perhaps languages)
that character by character delete would be useful, but for me I almost
always find I want to undo chunks of typing. If I want to undo
individual characters the delete key is more handy or I can typeover
those characters (not forgetting that chunk based undo would in any
case only undo individual characters if entered as a separate chunk).
Personally I can't think of any real world examples where character by
character undo is more useful than intelligent chunk based undo.

Just my tuppence worth!
James