[TxMt] XML support?

David Casal david at luminas.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 12:46:41 UTC 2004

On 3 Nov 2004, at 12:29, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> If you by “don't let me close” means something like “make the
> background of a misplaced close tag red” then yes, that'll be easy.

> you insert </bar> in front of it.

Cool. Thanks.

>> And, are the TD team
>
> For the records, it's TM and I'm the only programmer ;)

Dyslexia. It's a bugger. ;-)

>> expecting that things like XML support and other bundles are always
>> going to be up to users to craft? Meaning, will you never yourselves
>> develop bundles?
>
> I don't think I'm the best person to do bundles for languages I don't
> know/use. And currently I also think my time “programming” is best
> spent on actual TextMate development, since I'm currently the only
> person with access to that source ;)

Understood. Understandable.

> Long term, I may help out if there's an area which needs attention,
> but TM is less than a month old, and already there are quite a large
> number of user submissions, even w/o a GUI editor for the syntax files
> -- so I don't think it'll be a problem with neglected languages, and
> when TM gets an in-app editor for the syntax files, I think it'll be
> much less intimidating to roll your own syntax for whatever you're
> working on. E.g. doing quick ad hock syntax highlighting for your GTD
> lists or similar ;)

Yup. Nice. I guess the real crux of the matter (in terms of duplication
of efforts) is how TM users will share bundle development. With
something like XML, it would be much more efficient to share
development (svn?) than to just have personal bundles, since it is more
involved (namespacing, validation).

david