[TxMt] XML support?

David Casal david at luminas.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 11:40:04 UTC 2004

On 3 Nov 2004, at 11:32, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 3. Nov 2004, at 12:05, David Casal wrote:
>
>> I've never had to write text editor plugins, even less XML-aware
>> editors, so I'm going to be pretty useless at this, though I'm
>> perfectly willing to learn.
>
> Currently there are no plugin support in TM. The syntax highlight
> files are 100% declarative and contain no code. ATM recursion is not
> supported (but it's on the to-do), so it won't be able to do the
> “correct nesting validation” that you seek, but over time, it will be
> possible (and quite easy ;) ).

I see, thanks for your reply. Just curious though, how high is
recursion support in your todo list ? ;-)

>> Is the Textmate bundle scheme suited to tag-checking, etc.? Or does
>> it simply aim to cope with syn tax highlighting and completion?
>
> It can only do limited checks with the current system -- e.g. the HTML
> syntax checks for bad comments, misplaced ampersands a.s.o., but
> checking the integrity of a recursive structure is not possible ATM,
> for this I'd suggest you setup an external command (which can report
> the line number of where the structure breaks and feed that back to
> TM).

Beyond my bash magic, sadly.

But, I can't be the only sad b*8stard out there who'd like to have TM
point to a structural break? Has anyone done it already? Or, have any
pointers?

Anyway, I'll stop hassling you guys now.