[TxMt] tabs

Patrick Kelly patrick at getactive.com
Wed Dec 29 01:01:43 UTC 2004

Madness or not I work in an environment where everybody uses emacs and
that's the way it behaves.  Even if there is an option to "fix" emacs,
I doubt I'll convince everybody else to switch to accommodate my
perverse use of some obscure editor.  Especially since this seems like
the correct behavior for everybody using emacs.

Personally I believe that emacs got it right, that tab widths should
always be at 8, and editors should indent intelligently with spaces as
needed.  (Actually it's kind of a bummer that tab characters go into
text files at all, ever.  Just like the whole confusion over what is a
line (cr, crnl, nl).)

Like I said, it may be possible for me to rid the files I edit of all
tabs by using the expand unix utility.  The problem with that is
causing large, meaningless diffs when I checkin my changes to CVS.

Do menu selection changes get recorded in macros?  How can I automate
switching between 4 and 8 tab widths?