[TxMt] Tab History Revisited

Wayne Larsen wayne at larsen.st
Fri Dec 10 17:50:08 UTC 2004

A while back I posted about the possibility of having a history list
for tabs so that you could use a keyboard shortcut to quickly switch to
the last file you were editing.  The resolution proposed was to use
drag sorting to locate the files next to each other, and then use tab
navigation to switch back and forth.  With only 3 or 4 visible tabs and
many files open, most of my open files are pushed off the tab bar.  Can
you drag sort items if they are not currently visible as a tab?

I still think my history list idea has merit.  Maybe everyone else is
far more organized, but I've basically devolved to using the mouse and
the project drawer to switch files -- unless I know I am going to be
editing two files side by side for a while, in which case I will close
one -- switch to the other, then open the first one again so that I
know they are side by side.

I realized that this style of working is essentially what I would like
out of the History List that I proposed.  In other words, if you
completely ignore the tab bar as a traditional tab bar, it would
function exactly like the history list if -- when switching to a file
from the project drawer, the file acts as if it was not open, and
appears as a tab to the right of the currently open tab.

I fear I did not explain that well, but the idea is simple.  When
selecting a file for edit, first close the file, then open it (or
behave as if this was done).  If the file is selected from the tab bar,
then leave the behavior as it is.  With this behavior, the tab bar
would become a history list, and it would be simple to swap between
files using the already existing tab navigation shortcuts.

Is anyone else overwhelmed by the tab navigation as it stands?  This
metaphor works great for something like browsing -- because I can open
up a new window if I have too many tabs already open in the current
window.  I hate to keep bringing up emacs-isms, but the switch buffer
commands are very powerful (switch to last buffer, or switch to buffer
by using filename completion).  Combine the project drawer with some
sort of history navigation, and I would be very happy.

Thanks,
Wayne