[TxMt] Bug report: Python folding [version 1.0.2b10#553]

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Thu Dec 9 10:25:12 UTC 2004

On Dec 9, 2004, at 10:46 AM, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> On 08-12-2004 21:56, Xavier Noria wrote:
>> Python folding seems half implemented, it does not work. As you can
>> see in this shot:
>>     http://www.hashref.com/textmate/tmbug_python_folding.png
>> There's no mark for classes for instance, and more important if you
>> click on the marks to fold functions nothing happens.
>
> This is a known problem.
>
> As stated before, TextMate currently tries to do folding based on
> indentation of the end marker. Since there is no end marker in Python,
> it doesn't work properly.

Yeah, I didn't have received the reply for HTML folding before I sent
this one about Python.

> Allan is working hard on all kinds of features that will make TextMate
> the Über-editor of all, but folding isn't currently on the top of the
> list...

I think TextMate is really promising, it already has features I like
very much, innovative and useful. That's why I bought a license, and
encourage the company to work hard on it because there's no comparable
editor in that niche that I know of.

Nevertheless, I sincerely think the description of folding in the home
page is, well, could be misleading if you've already worked with
folding in other editors. If nothing is specified code folding is
expected to be language-aware and do the right thing.

In order to not disappoint future customers in that particular corner
of the application I would insert some "indentation" somewhere until
this feature is improved, "indentation-based folding" or something in
that line.

-- fxn