[TxMt] TextMate Icon proposal - Anime icon

Lief Stryder email at liefstryder.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 18:38:57 UTC 2004

Hehe, great to see someone else using it.

I had been looking for a legitimate reason to use that icon for ages.
It's perfect for my Textmate because of many reasons: the robot looks a
lot sturdier than the original little Txm guy, symbolising the power
within the program; I can imagine the mandibles that come out of the
front of the robot speedily manipulating text, with its multi-coloured
eyes viewing it from different angles, just like the dynamic syntax
highlighting of Txm. My passion for programming was partly born out of
watching movies like Ghost In The Shell and the live-action Matrix as a
child and teenager respectively so the icon has a very strong emotional
impact for me due to its cultural origin.

Red certainly stands out amongst my pastel/blue/green/metal/fox-fur
Dock and the icon screams its purpose at me the instant my Dock
emerges. As far as I know, the only thing close to a text editor that
has a red or orange icon is MarsEdit, Ranchero's blog editor - not in
the same category as Txm. I vote for red as the choice of colour for
any proposed icons updates (for the sake of another icon-related thread
in this list).

Lief Stryder, graphic designer / web designer.