[TxMt Plugins] Launching two versions of TextMate side-by-side

Phil Crosby phil.crosby at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 05:56:43 UTC 2011

Hey everyone,

While developing the textmatevim plugin, I've been editing the plugin's
source in one instance of textmate launching/debugging the plugin in another
instance of textmate. I'm wondering if there's a cleaner, standard way of
launching two textmate instances such that there are no side effects.

This is what I'm currently doing:

# Create a second instance of textmate
cp -R /Applications/TextMate /Applications/DevTextMate
mv /Applications/DevTextMate.app/Contents/MacOS/TextMate
/Applications/DevTextMate.app/Contents/MacOS/DevTextMate
cp -R cp ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate ~/Library/Application\
Support/DevTextMate

# Launch
/Applications/DevTextMate.app/Contents/MacOS/DevTextMate

This approach has some side effects. At one point "DevTextMate" somehow
became registered to open all code files. Often one or the other textmate
instance will also open the release notes, as if it's the first time it's
being run.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks,

-Phil Crosby