[TxMt Plugins] Dialog API improvements

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Thu Sep 20 14:45:52 UTC 2007

There have recently been a few patches to the Dialog plug-in that I
have yet to role in.

Mainly because the current architecture does not scale well with new
functionality.

We have spoken a bit about it on IRC, but since not all contributors
are on IRC, I am moving the discussion to this list.

The restructuring I am envisioning is to move to a command based
system so that the basic syntax is:

Additionally there will be:

     tm_dialog help «command»

And just tm_dialog to get a list of commands.

Each command will be responsible for a certain function. Presently we
have these things (including pending patches):

     Synchronous nib loading
     Asynchronous nib loading
     Pop-up menu
     Type-to-narrow pop-up list
     File dialog (open/save)
     System dialog (color/font)
     HTML tool tips

In my mind, each should be a fully self-contained file providing that
functionality. From an architectural POV I imagine that tm_dialog will
basically connect to the Dialog plug-in using distributed-objects (as
now) and send it:

     1. The full command line (i.e. with arguments)
     2. File handles for tm_dialog’s stdin, stdout, and stderr

Basically all work will then be done in the Dialog plug-in. Which will
conceptually do:

     1. Check what command the command line arguments contain
     2. Lookup a class/object to handle that command in a dictionary
     3. Pass on the info to that class/object (if found).

So the main thing that needs to be worked out is a super class for the
commands to subclass. This has two jobs:

     1. Provide a method for the subclass to register a command
(called e.g. in +load)
     2. Provide an interface for the method that is called when the
command should go into action

All in all that should be quite simple. Though we probably want a bit
of sugar, such as converting the arguments to an NSDictionary (rather
than have each command use getopt_long etc.) and maybe a few other
things.

A minor concern is how a command can signal tm_dialog to wait for a
semaphore, as is presently required by the nib-loading command (when
given e.g. the -w option)

A bigger concern is what to do with backwards compatibility. Maybe it
would be possible to let $DIALOG point at a script that rewrites the
arguments, and then introduce a new variable for the new tm_dialog
command.