[txmt-dev] Re: Yosemite breaks some bundles

Wed Jun 18 19:11:17 UTC 2014

On 17 Jun 2014, at 18:08, Attila Györffy wrote:

> Having said that, I’d like to know what’s stopping us from using
> that Ruby interpreter (let it be 1.8 or 2.0 or anything further) in
> Bundles? […]

There is probably a lot of string/character handling in bundle commands,
which is one of the main major changes from 1.8 → 1.9/2.0.

For example 1.8 represent characters as integers, e.g. ?A and "a"[0]
both evaluate to 65. In ruby 2.0 those two things evaluate to "a" (a
string).

There is no jcode/jlength in 2.0 but the native string’s length method
return number of code point.

There are a few other minor things, for example fork/exec will close
file descriptors by default in 2.0 but not 1.8, and the “opt out”
argument is 2.0 only.

But I’ll welcome patches that can make the code run on both versions
of ruby. It’s just easier (for me) with the suggested migration plan
(which includes bundling ruby for users which only have one version on
their system), and it should minimize the chance of anything breaking.