[txmt-dev] Re: Global Bookmarks functionality

Tue Oct 29 22:41:26 UTC 2013

On 29 Oct 2013, at 21:32, mbopp wrote:

> Thanks, this might pacify me.

If not, to answer your original question:

TextMate 2 does still store bookmarks in extended attributes, but it
also has an internal API to set and get “marks” for arbitrary
documents. This is used (mostly as proof of concept) when you do a
folder search (all matching locations get a magnify glass in the gutter,
which is never saved to disk).

It has always been my intention to improve upon this system, but I have
just never gotten around to it. Improvements would be twofold: Allowing
bundle commands to decorate the gutter (compiler errors etc.) and allow
better navigation between (global) marks, like “go to next compiler
error” shortcuts, or view all global bookmarks in a project.

There aren’t really any plug-ins for 2.0 and I generally recommend
people just do pull requests: It’s always easier to write the
functionality and separate it out into an isolated module, than it is
for me to come up with some general purpose plug-in API that will solve
whatever problem some plug-in writer may have in the future, and I’d
also rather not make internal things public before absolutely necessary:
I do have a somewhat clear idea of how I want the internal things to end
up, before starting with the public APIs.