[txmt-dev] Re: TM2 enhanced txmt:// url scheme ideas

Brandon Fryslie brandon at fryslie.com
Wed Sep 5 21:36:44 UTC 2012

I love the idea!!!  Allowing those features to be scriptable is what will improve TextMate beyond any other text editor.  However, I am wondering if the URL scheme is the best way to implement those features.

I think in addition to the extended URL scheme idea, we should pursue a full-fledge TextMate Scripting API that incorporates all these features.  Look at what the Sublime Text 2 Scripting API makes possible: http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/api_reference.html.

No one is more steadfastly in support of TextMate than I am, but I'm not blind myself to the power such a thorough API gives to scripters.  Implementing a powerful VIM-like command mode is ~200-300 lines of Python.

If I had any inkling of the best practices for peacefully and sustainably bolting-on a Ruby interface to these parts of the C++ code, I would do it myself.  I could implement the code would someone else design the skeleton of the structure.

In any case, whether through URL scheme or otherwise, I see an infinite possibility for TextMate to be expanded into the future.  :)

"For small erections may be finished by their first architects; grand ones, true ones, ever leave the copestone to posterity. God keep me from ever completing anything." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick

--
Brandon Fryslie