[txmt-dev] Trim and separate info in the bottom toolbar

Will Faught will.faught at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 07:55:23 UTC 2012

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so please forgive any ignorance.

Are there any plans to overhaul the appearance of the bottom toolbar (line, column, language, spaces, etc.)?

Here's my idea that I originally filed as an issue on GitHub:

The bottom toolbar ought to be changed to occupy less space. The width of each section ought to be trimmed to "hug" the information, whether it be data or a menu item. Separate information ought to be in separate sections. Use single spaces to separate information. Omit colons where possible (e.g. "Line 3" instead of "Line: 3").

Basically, adopt the appearance of the toolbar in Chocolat. Screenshot: http://s10.postimage.org/jlyt0bno9/chocolat.jpg

For example:
"Row:    3    Column: 6 | …" becomes "Row 3 | Column 6". Make the label (e.g. "Row" or "Column") bold if needed to distinguish it from the information.
"Soft Tabs:    4" becomes "Soft Tabs 4".
"… | Java          | …" becomes "… | Java | …".
Also, what is the purpose of the clock-like icon next to the language pop-up menu?

Thanks for reading. Feedback appreciated.

Will